Pregnancy & Pediatrics
A woman’s body must go through major changes to accommodate the growing baby. Her ribs and pelvis actually expand outward, due to an increase in hormones which relax the ligaments that hold the bones together.
Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
A woman’s body must go through major changes to accommodate the growing baby. Her ribs and pelvis actually expand outward, due to an increase in hormones which relax the ligaments that hold the bones together. Although this is necessary for a healthy labor, it also can cause women to have new and unique discomforts, as parts of her body that had lined up a certain way for years now move in entirely new positions.
Chiropractic care focuses on restoring the spine to a healthier state. This allows not only for improved motion at the joints, but more importantly for improved activity of the nerves that pass through and around those joints. Proper nerve and spinal cord function is key to reduced pain and fewer complications in pregnancy .
With chiropractic care, many women are able to experience less discomfort during pregnancy and labor, and may have shorter deliveries with less need for invasive interventions.
Perhaps the most well-known role for chiropractic in the birthing community is the Webster Technique, which is designed to provide more room in the mom’s pelvis. By applying gentle adjustments to the sacrum and soft pressure to the round ligaments, tight muscles that affect the uterus can relax. This provides the optimum environment for your baby, allowing for an increased opportunity to deliver naturally
We believe every mother should be under chiropractic care. Many birth complication can be prevented through proper chiropractic care.
- Maternal Health issues like gestational diabetes.
- Pelvic misalignments that can cause birth complications.
- Falls during pregnancy.
- Poor diet affecting neurological development pf the baby.
- Balancing the pelvis and soft tissue including uterine ligaments is perfect for all stages of pregnancy.
- Adding balance to your body and movement during labor helps gravity move baby down easier.
Why Check your Baby
Why every baby should be checked in the first years of life:
- Support normal rapid growth.
- The health of the nervous system in the first years of life will determine the health of the child for the rest of their lives.
- 30% of all births are C-sections which creates neck problems later in life.
- 80% of adults have leg length inequality due to early postural distortion creating unequal compression on growth plates, causing permanent spinal deformity.
- Regular chiropractic check-ups will allow optimal balance in the Childs body, resulting in a solid foundation for the child’s health as they grow into adulthood.
When check your baby
When should your baby get checked?
- Well-child visits should be performed at the same time the child goes to their “well-child” pediatrician visits, as well as certain physical milestones are supported to be reached. Holding top the head, rolling over, sitting without support, sitting without support, getting on hands and knees, crawling, pulling to standing, walking and running.
- A visit is extremely necessary if a child has a delay in, skips, or does not meet a milestone.
- Any type of birth complication.
- Child being shaken, tossed or dropped or “extra-loved” with rough handling or wrestling with siblings.
- Falls off: high chairs, cribs, beds, couches, shopping carts, carseats, baby carriers.
- Falls while learning to : walk, run, jump, climb on playground structures.
- Use of: Chairs, walkers, activity gyms, bouncers before developmentally appropriate.
- Delayed or skipped milestones
“Abnormal growth and repair results from abnormal stresses on spinal tissue “- Harrison
Manifestations of trauma:
- Difficulty trying to nurse.
- Arching while feeding.
- Ear aches
- Difficulty swallowing,
- Holding head up.
- Open mouth breathing.
- Phrenic nerve and brachial plexus
- Frequent hiccups
- Fussy with tummy time
- Discontent with car seat
- Digestive issues
- Discontent with diaper change
4. Lumbars/ Sacrum
- Diaper change
Why older kids should be checked: (Maybe use different verbiage)
– Quick growth spurts
– Cause growing pains vs magnesium or other nutritional deficiencies = bilateral pain vs unilateral pain
– Ears shoulders or pelvis uneven
– Computer reading and texting habits that slouch body in flexion
– Heavy backpacks
- Should weight no more than 10 – 15% of body weight
- Should be snug and strap shoulder and chest
- Jack the ripper story
– All sports ad risks
– Repetitive motion trauma
– Painful menses – should not be painful
– Ear, shoulder or hip higher on one side
– Uneven head tilt
– Uneven worn shoes
– Sitting too long
1. Why Check Moms?
- Maternal health issues, pelvic misalignments, falls during pregnancy, poor diet or other challenges
- Intruterine constraints such as baby positioned breech, transfers, or oblique
- Difficult, prolonged or precipitous (fast) labor
2. Leg length inequality equality is found in over 80% of adults due to early postural distortions creating unequal compression on the growth plates, causing permanent spinal deformity if not corrected during active growth with proper orthotic use.
When is your first chiropractic check-up? An ounce of prevention
– Due of the rapid growth and adaptation, the health of the nervous system in the first years of life will determine the health of the child for the rest of their life
Ergonomic ways to carry
– Children being carried in inappropriate carriers may be subject to a delay in growth development
7. Activities such as jumpers, walkers, and infant seats that force a child into a posture before they are developmentally ready create direct axial compression puts pressure on the lumbar spine and damages the spinal cord and nerves, setting the child up for permanent spinal deformity.
Our Perfect Team
DR. SETH STRAUSS
DR. KATALLY SANCHEZ